Call for Artists
Did you know that during New Haven’s last mayoral election, only 20% of eligible residents voted? The Create the Vote Steering Committee believes that leadership from local artists will improve voter turnout this year.
As such, Create the Vote New Haven is now accepting proposals for creative projects that build excitement and community around the act of voting during this election season. This call is only for individual artists living in New Haven or with strong ties to New Haven, including high school and college students. The selected proposals must take place from September 3-November 5 and will receive a $250 - $1,000 award for implementation. As a reminder, Create the Vote New Haven is a nonpartisan campaign, so projects cannot endorse candidates in any way.
We are accepting applications through July 26. The Steering Committee will evaluate proposals based on their ability to engage residents of New Haven’s neighborhoods and create joy and excitement about voting. Artists of color and students are strongly encouraged to apply.
A few examples of possible proposals include, but are not limited to:
- Design and distribute posters promoting election day
- Perform a neighborhood concert on the voter registration deadline
- Host a dramatic reading of the candidates policy platforms
A few important dates in the election season to consider for planning purposes:
- September 10: primary election
- October 29: last day for advance voter registration
- November 5: general election (same day voter registration available)
Questions? Want to discuss your idea? Contact Heather@NewHavenArts.org or 203 772 2788